|Humble beginnings, fattening pastoral stores on contract.|
As the paperwork was being shuffled back and forth, we set about building the feedlot. We already had four pens where we were just using self feeders. We needed some feed troughing, and found a simple design using square tubing and poly urethane sheeting. Just make a frame and tek screw the belting to it. Every 250mm or so. Along both edges. Happy days. The troughs were 24 metres long, and with the extra twelve pens we were building, that came to about 384 metres of belt that need to be teked down. Naturally, I volunteered to make and weld the frames, while Mike, my father-in-law, volunteered to drive the post whanger with an offsider. So that left Gemma, her mum Helen, and another offsider to assemble the frames and attach the belting.
|Taking a breather|
Before any of the fencing could go in though we needed to run the new water lines. Twelve new troughs arrived, and after five minutes with the shovel, we went into town and hired a little ride on trencher. Two days solid that thing chipped away at the dirt, remembering, this was 2006. The dirt was last wet in October 2005 sometime. They are magic little machines, one of the first things on my Lotto shopping list. As soon as Gemma buys the right ticket. Eventually the pipe was laid, and we could set up the form work for the trough pads. Living close to Geraldton has it's advantages, one phone call and a cement truck was out the next day. All the pads where poured in an afternoon and the troughs were sitting on them the day after.
|The new loading yards, complete with shine.|
|Our first big job, 14 500 sheep.|